Director of Analytics
At 605 we are engineers, analysts, data scientists, media experts, marketing strategists and political operatives. Our team of data scientists pioneered the field of TV data analytics. We offer unique, independent audience measurement and analytics to build better marketing and programming initiatives within the media and entertainment industries.
We are currently seeking a Director of Analytics to support the growth of 605 in terms of projects and client engagements. This role focuses on client-facing Analytics projects, and manages a small team of data analysts. The Director of Analytics will lead projects that include the individual contributors of other teams, and as such this position requires work closely with other team leads to balance workloads across all the Analytics group's projects and evaluate individual contributors' performance.
- People management
- Meet weekly with Group VP and other Analytics managers to allocate the team's time and energy across projects and share feedback on the performance of individual contributors.
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other. Work as part of a collaborative hiring team to interview and hire new group members.
- Provide continuous feedback to direct reports, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members.
- Guide the team through the adoption of new processes or migrations to new tools, infrastructure, and business goals.
- Help team members develop their careers; assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals.
- Project management
- Manage client-facing projects that include a mix of your own direct reports and other teams. Delegate work and update stakeholders within and outside 605.
- Interface directly with clients in tight coordination with the Client Solutions team
- Provide in-bound client support for active projects and client engagements
- Maintain a balance between building principled, mathematically rigorous solutions and shipping things quickly
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes
- Manage client expectations on analytics-related projects in terms of estimated scope, timing, deliverables and dependencies
- Provide subject matter expertise to internal teams and clients regarding research and analytics methodology
- Individual work
- Maintain low-level visibility into project details by taking on a portion of hands-on project work yourself
- Set a good example for team members in terms of code and output quality
- Apply your specialized expertise and experience to complex, difficult, and particularly interesting analytics and data science challenges
- Determine the high-level architecture of analytical solutions
- Build and maintain tools, standards, templates and best practices that allow less experienced team members to reuse your solutions.
- Act as main point of contact between Client Solutions and Analytics groups. Understand the CS group's long-term needs and immediate client priorities, and share Analytics roadmaps and new product possibilities
- 7 years of industry experience or Master’s in a related field plus 4 years of industry experience
- Strong communications and client-facing skills including conflict resolution and escalations
- Experience managing multiple projects under changing priorities. Willingness to collaborate and communicate with others to drive projects to completion.
- Inclined towards thinking ahead and building for the future. Ability to evaluate new methods and to determine fit with current workloads.
- Deep expertise in statistical, data and behavioral science(s). Ability to recognize gaps in own understanding
- Moderate skill level with R (managing multiple scripts, projects, moving data across a variety of stores, good programming practices).
- Able to clearly communicate, and present, and explain complex topics and recommendations in simple terms
- Ability to deliver positive and negative results to external clients and internal stakeholders with solid underlying rationale
- PhD in related field + 2 years of industry experience
- History of continuous learning and growth.
- Mentorship and teaching experience, guiding professional development of others.
- Experience giving both positive and negative feedback to reports or collaborators.
- Experience interviewing, hiring, and onboarding new employees.
- Familiarity supporting a variety of clients with varying levels of expertise and understanding in data science and/or analytics
- Strong communications and visualization skills with data-intensive presentations, including geographic or time-series analyses
Important and Standard
- Comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance for employees and their families
- Life & Disability insurance
- 401k plan with match, eligible for match after one year
- Pre-tax flexible compensation plan for medical, transit, parking or dependent care expenses
- PTO & Sick days—if you’re sick, you stay home
- Work-from-home Fridays
Other cool benefits
- A kitchen stocked with sodas, snacks, yogurt and other goodies
- A tight knit start up community who likes to eat! We celebrate everyone’s birthdays, have frequent team lunches, and do events in and out of the office
- 605 is an active participant in conferences
At 605, we’re just as passionate about diversity as we are about pioneering the field of TV data analytics. We are committed to cultivating an environment of mutual respect and equal opportunity. All hiring and advancement decisions are made on the basis of qualification, merit, and business need.