Director of Engineering
605 is looking for a dynamic Director of Engineering to serve as a technical thought leader and engineer for the organization and help build out new products. As the Director of Engineering, you’ll be responsible for writing code with and managing the engineering team, as well as collaborating with product owners on the direction of our platform and product. As part of a small but rapidly growing company, you’ll wear a number of hats and be willing -- and excited -- to get your hands dirty with the team.
You should be as comfortable in a shell or IDE as you are in a product planning meeting. Being comfortable with the full stack and having experience with a broad range of technologies is critical; this is not a position for someone who has not coded since they got their degree. In any given week, we have engineers writing frontend apps and services (in Python, Ruby, and Java), tweaking ML algorithms, processing terabytes of data, writing Spark jobs, and working with analysts and statisticians. You need not be an expert in every language or technology we use, but must be willing to learn when required. Above all, you’re someone who wants to gain managerial responsibilities while still coding with awesome big data technologies.
At 605 we are engineers, analysts, data scientists, media experts, marketing strategists and political operatives. Our team of data scientists pioneered the field of TV data analytics. We offer unique, independent audience measurement and analytics to build better marketing and programming initiatives within the media and entertainment industries.
In this job you will:
- Serve as a technical thought leader and engineer for the organization
- Manage the engineering team
- Collaborate with product owners and senior leadership on the direction of our platform and product
- Write code (up to 25% of your time)
- Regularly coordinate across teams to deliver against client projects
- Lead standups and sprint planning
- Oversee hiring on the engineering team
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- At least 5 years of experience working as an software engineer in a technical capacity
- Excellent understanding of data structures, algorithms, and effective software design
- Significant development experience with a lower level language (e.g. Java, C/C++, C#)
- Proficiency with SQL and RDBMSs (preferably PostgreSQL or mySQL)
- Experience with at least one web framework (e.g. Ruby/Rails, Python/Django) and solid understanding of the MVC design pattern
- Experience writing unit and functional tests
- Comfort with version control systems (e.g. Git, SVN)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; must work well in an agile, collaborative team environment
- Some experience mentoring/ managing teams in an agile development environment (plus a desire to grow in this capacity)
Any of the following will make us very excited!
- Master's in Computer Science or a related field
- Solid understanding of statistics and experience with statistical packages such as R, Matlab, SPSS, etc.
- Practical experience with unsupervised machine learning techniques
- Practical experience with the Map/Reduce programming model and Hadoop
- Experience wrangling terabytes of big, complicated, imperfect data
- Background with test-driven development
Important and Standard
- Comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance for employees and their families
- Life & Disability insurance
- 401k plan, eligible for company match after one year of employment
- Pre-tax flexible compensation plan for medical, transit, parking or dependent care expenses
- Up to 15 paid vacation days depending on grade level (although in reality we’re more flexible)
- 7 paid sick days in a calendar year - if you’re sick, you stay home
Other cool benefits
- 4 work from home days/month
- A kitchen stocked with sodas, snacks, yogurt and other goodies
- A tight knit start up community who likes to eat! We celebrate everyone’s birthdays, have frequent team lunches, and do events in and out of the office
- 605 is an active participant in conferences
At 605, we’re just as passionate about diversity as we are about pioneering the field of TV data analytics. We are committed to cultivating an environment of mutual respect and equal opportunity. All hiring and advancement decisions are made on the basis of qualification, merit, and business need.