Lead Devops Engineer
At 605 we are engineers, analysts, data scientists, media experts, marketing strategists and political operatives. Our team of data scientists pioneered the field of TV data analytics. We offer unique, independent audience measurement and analytics to build better marketing and programming initiatives within the media and entertainment industries.
605 is looking for an experienced devops engineering manager who can help us build a devops culture, with infrastructure automation owned by the whole engineering team. Our work is in optimizing advertising and programming for the television and video industry, so our needs around infrastructure are data heavy. We have particular security and compliance needs because we handle third party data.
The DevOps Engineering Manager at 605 is responsible for developing, supporting and managing the self-service infrastructure which empowers engineering to deploy services more easily. In addition to being a hands on contributor, this role is responsible for setting the technical direction of the team. Along with being a strong technical expert, this role requires a natural leader adept at earning the trust and respect of the team.
- Manage existing Infrastructure
- Implement and maintain infrastructure automation
- Ensure adequate monitoring
- Disseminate skills, best practices, and incident response protocols to the engineering team
- Able to avoid creating technical debt
- Comfortable voicing opinions, and surfacing problems
- Develop people through coaching, mentoring, and management support
- Ensure your team members are happy by providing them with career development guidance as it relates to both hard skills as well as the soft ones. Help them exploit their strengths, handle their weaknesses and make sure they are properly equipped to perform their job the best they can
- Hold regular one on ones, conduct performance evaluations and manage the hiring process as well as other administrative tasks for your team.
- Create a culture on your team where anyone can speak up and share his or her concerns when it’s in the interest of the mission
- You and your direct reports hold each other accountable for the commitments you both make
- Grow the technical expertise of your team on performance, scalability and maintainable architecture
- Lead technology architecture discussions
- Be ultra-responsive and capable of making instant decisions, always kicking the ball forward
Our engineers are expected to wear a number of hats and have the opportunity to touch all parts of the stack. You'll have:
- Experience building and scaling production application infrastructure
- Experience with continuous deployment in Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, etc.) or another IaaS provider
- Comfort with scripting languages like Python, Ruby, etc.
- Experience with:
- Terraform and SaltStack or another automation tool like Chef or Puppet
- Batch workflow orchestration
- Streaming ETL technology
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field (or 4 additional years of relevant work experience)
- 5 years experience working directly on DevOps
- Really understand what’s happening inside computers when code is executing or data is moving (for example the dynamic behaviour of garbage collectors in practice)
- Comfort with version control systems (e.g. Git, SVN)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; must work well in an agile, collaborative team environment
- Master's in Computer Science or a related field
Important and Standard
- Comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance for employees and their families
- Life & Disability insurance
- 401k plan with match, eligible for match after one year
- Pre-tax flexible compensation plan for medical, transit, parking or dependent care expenses
- PTO & Sick days—if you’re sick, you stay home
- Work-from-home Fridays
Other cool benefits
- A kitchen stocked with sodas, snacks, yogurt and other goodies
- A tight knit start up community who likes to eat! We celebrate everyone’s birthdays, have frequent team lunches, and do events in and out of the office
- 605 is an active participant in conferences
At 605, we’re just as passionate about diversity as we are about pioneering the field of TV data analytics. We are committed to cultivating an environment of mutual respect and equal opportunity. All hiring and advancement decisions are made on the basis of qualification, merit, and business need.